Friday, October 12, 2007

Melody First for the First Time

I'm working on a new song, now, where I'm actually writing the melody, first, and then harmonizing it with chords, second. On When So Late, I always wrote either the chords or the lyrics first, but never the melody first. As a guitarist, chord progressions are the most natural parts to write as they just materialize as I'm noodling around and experimenting with different sounds. Then, once I have lyrics, it's fairly intuitive to stumble across a melody to fit with the progression and that just sounds right. As a result, I suspect that some of my melodies on the first album tended to follow the chord progressions a bit much and were therefore constrained in some ways. Will there be a noticeable difference in my songs if I write the melodies first? I happen to think so... but I guess I'll have to let you guys be the judge of that when you hear the new stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment